Monday 23 July 2012

'You're all responsible for your own socks!'

Janet, costume supremo, for York Mysteries 2012, speaks...


We don't argue - we wouldn't dare. We are all in awe of the work of the costume department.

Looking around at at the vast numbers of people and the detail of their costumes, we are completely bowled over. Anyone who had doubts about the concept of 40s/50s period dress at the start, has to agree - they look wonderful!

Here's my friend, Linda with her friend - looking like they've just scrubbed the step and are about to talk about 'er at number 37 '

What is impressing me so much about this production is that absolutely everyone is mucking in. When we finally get to do the tour of the stage for our Health and Safety briefing and to sort out our Red 11 entrances from our Yellow 2 exits - who should be knocking nails into the stage but Damian, the artistic director! He even looks the part in his high vis waistcoat. Later I spot Liz, the CEO of York Theatre Royal, carrying planks of wood across the backstage area... What next? God laying cables? It wouldn't surprise me.

It's tech rehearsal time and all seasoned actors whether pro or amateur, know what a pain that can be. Yesterday, all of us Carpenters were in costume by 6pm and finally got to make a brief entrance for 'Going to the Dogs' around 10pm. Thank God, it was a beautiful, sunny evening and we sat around on stone walls, gossiping, reading, doing crosswords, watching the skies darken and the shadows lengthen. We're a patient bunch.

Then we did it again and then we went home. Tonight, we're watching the Potters, with notebooks in hand. I'm looking forward to drinking in the spectacle and watching the angels dance.

1 comment:

  1. I looked in the mirror when I put my costume on for the first time and saw my grandad... all I need is a tab now and a copy of Sporting Life and I could pass for a 1950 photo of him!

    ReplyDelete